Saturday 14 June 2008

Event Horizon

So the title for this entry is probably more dramatic than it should be. The fact is that as a gamer you sometimes end up with some specimen that you cannot seem to stop playing no matter how hard you try. In this instance it is Mass Effect.

The plain fact is that I do not have to say a single word about it, because review sights all over the world are right now queuing to praise it to Heaven. Although of course there will be some ignorant people who refuse to see its brilliance and will try to brutally pull it down from its throne of glory out of jealousy and spite. Though I'll say that apart from a few inconsistensies and signs of negligence, it is, in two words, bloody awesome. I felt a bit disturbed that some insectoid aliens I was fighting were carrying enough cash to collectively buy out Bill Gates. Now I have come to assume that they are all EA stock holders.

________

While I never actually managed to watch Citizen Kane in one go, I started poking at some Alfred Hitchcock movies - Rear Window and Vertigo. Though both movies had issues with believability, they were very interesting and provided me with a perspective I had not previously explored. Granted, many modern movies have drawn inspiration from earlier decades, so I can easily recognise many of the themes, and both features definitely cannot hide their age. Nevertheless both of them are intriguing even today; as statements about human psychology and as a looking glass that allows the mind to explore the past. /exit preteniousness

Always a pleasure to discover that there is a lot of brilliant stuff just waiting to be examined.

No comments: