Thursday 17 July 2008

Trauma

If you think this is cute you clearly haven't watched the movie.


It's not often I think back on a recent event and realise that it has traumatised me a little bit. Yeah, maybe I am just an impressionable softie who is not sufficiently hardened because I do not watch enough horror movies or perhaps even remotely scary films. Well, I recently saw The Orphanage along with a few hundred other people at 1 a.m. at the Roskilde Festival, and I guess it was just because of the intense mood inside the cinema, but I got really frightened several times while I was watching the movie. The were moments where practically everyone screamed out loud.

Now, a lot of the effects were pretty cliché and the storyline was pretty obscure, but nevertheless it was all effective. The whole movie had as sense of brutal otherworldlyness that just drew you in. If I watched it in my living room chances are I wouldn't be quite as scared, but I'm not sure I'd like to take that chance. I can admit when something scares me even if it is slightly pathetic :-P

_____________


Apart from that I've watched a couple other movies, one of them being 3:10 to Yuma.
It is a remake of an old Western movie, and while I haven't seen the original I'd say this one did the job. It was refreshing to see another take on the whole western gang mythology that - in spite of that particular genre of movie being less prominent that it was in the 20th century - still contains a great deal of fascinating material. Seeing Russell Crowe as a villain was particularly refreshing, and Christian Bale's performance was delicately discrete.
Peter Fonda had a supporting role but really made the most of his limited time on-screen.

With all its twists and turns, cliché or not, 3:10 kept me entertained.

No comments: