Friday 29 February 2008

Fatigue

I like taking those slightly psychedelic pictures with all these odd reflections and stuff. I don't know all that photographer jargon seeing as every picture I take is a product of randomness. Like this, taken of a window inside the metro.
I don't know why public transport remains one of my favourite ways of getting somewhere. It's comforting in a way to observe people in their everyday lives, tired, energized, old, young. Like this guy who sat with a baby on his lap. I didn't think to get a picture because that'd be a bit rude under the circumstances, but that happy child cheered me up.

Aren't our minds busy all the time? Real happiness seems a fleeting thing to a lot of people. It's an uncertain age to live in, new scientific breakthroughs lurking around every corner, feeding us with information about the latest fatality rates. I don't know why I keep getting this recurring image of a man inside a bar, smoking his last cigarette and having a drink with Death. Maybe because I'm on occasion a melancholy bastard whose outlook on life is sometimes bleak at best.
Political apathy becomes the way to go for a lot of people because politics in general seem less about ideals now than about personalities and power for its own sake. It fills people like me with a strange sense of admiration when I witness someone who is willing to work hard to support an ideology. And that's how it often starts... Then they get older, or they get elected. They sell out or they buy new ideological paradigms at a second-hand store. Though in those cases where ideology survives, even if I don't necessarily agree with a certain point of view, I can at least respect it. Of course, an age of uncertainty and sudden changes needs a sense of pragmatism. Sometimes one wishes that we wouldn't get cynicism instead.

I think one of the reasons fantasy literature, to me at least, is more appealing, is that I hear about our world all the time in the news. But then I end up reading something post-apocalyptic and I'm back to square one.

But there's light at the end of the tunnel, even in the Danish subway where aggressive automated doors will kill you if your reflexes aren't good enough.


No comments: