Thursday 15 May 2008

Hmmm...

I have these periods when I don't really know what to write. It's a combination of not knowing what to write and not wanting to write the things I should be writing. Not in the laziness sense, but in the not-wanting-to-face-reality sense. What made me think was... I don't know what it was, but the thought was this: I don't think you can contemplate suicide without being slightly fatalistic. Like, you think it's your fate; there is no manner of avoiding it, it has to happen. There are so many approaches to determinism and fatalism that it is nauseating; you can contemplate whether or not someone can be considered guilty of murder if they were destined to do it, but arguing about that is tedious and you are not likely to get a result. But as a key to understanding suicide, I think the discussion is much more relevant. If someone truly believes that suicide is the last resort, I imagine the very act of killing oneself might feel like realising one's destiny. It's a morbid thought, but it is the only approach by which I can understand it.

No comments: