Friday 14 March 2008

Easter fiction

While Danish weather is manically depressed and can't seem to find psychiatric assistance, clouds, rain and wind have to serve as the only source of inspiration to find when I look out of my window. It is a lazy day; Easter holidays have begun, time being the most abundant resource at the moment. Too many books want to be read... both the traditional and the interactive sort.
A lot has already been said about whether or not computer games can be art, and in truth I can add very little to that discussion... To me a really good game is like a painting that I can enter and interact with or a book in which I take control. As rewarding as regular reading is, sometimes it's a real treat to just sit back and process the images of a pre-rendered world. There's the occasional trap of course, such as Guitar Hero... which is sort of amusing, but when you keep playing the same song over and over just to get a better score, it becomes an unhealthy addiction, very different from an engrossing role-playing game where you have an active influence on your environment.
Most gamers owe it to themselves to check out the rave-worthy game Audiosurf - has been out for a little while - which unfortunately is only available over Steam
It's fairly cheap though and is honestly the most relaxing way of listening to music. Basically you control a little craft that flies on a road that varies depending on the intensity of the song - any song you have on your computer. There's more to it than that, but it's hard to explain every aspect of it. The graphics are simple, but still beautiful. Whenever I want some relaxing stimulation of my brain, I just pick a song and off I go.
It's certainly an alternative to games like Guitar Hero where the number of available songs is very limited.

Also, a completely different thought... Space ships in science fiction... why do they go down when their engine fails? I know there is something called gravity which may be a perfect explanation when you're above a planet, but when you're in the middle of space? Apparently space ships have some extra devices for downwards propulsion that kick in once the main engines are dead.
And how did they construct some über space station like the death star without having smaller point defence systems with homing missiles to shoot any planes that went for the "We have no weaknesses, so we'll make this vulnerable spot"? It's one of the reasons I don't often read science fiction. Magic is something I can handle.. it's metaphysical and therefore the regular laws of physics and reason don't apply to it. It's alright that science fiction does a lot of things that aren't possible, that's the whole point after all, but sometimes it just doesn't make any sort of sense.
Maybe it's because I generally avoid bad fantasy - except the kind I sometimes write in my spare time - and have mostly been looking at bad science fiction. What I like in a work of science fiction or literature is a degree of realism in anything that isn't affected by rules of physics that are unique to the setting. There has to be a sense of urgency and sacrifice... the best work of science fiction I've ever read ended with a complete apocalyptic disaster... that kind of thing is awe-inspiring and terrifying like a tidal wave.

No comments: