Tuesday 18 March 2008

Simplicity

A brief Winter night descends in the middle of a manically depressed version of March that has so far made me believe that I live in some alternate dimension where the weather sucks all year. Still, a bit of frost and snow lightens the mood a bit, as if the strangely extended Autumn has finally loosened its grip on Winter, allowing the tortured season to say its last goodbye before Spring takes over. The reflections of street light in those fine layers of ice light up the pavement as you walk, and light reflected in the snow at the sky makes the night seem brighter. I remember past years of my life where the sunlight lit up the day in the middle of March, clouds spreading to reveal a blue sky and flowers blossoming early, but this year the weather has seemed absolutely bipolar.
I take in some full breaths of the cold evening air, savouring its simple beauty, yet longing for warmth and green trees. I want to ride my bicycle without having to wear a jacket, I want to sit in the park and read a book quietly. I want to be able to feel a touch of Summer before the wrong sort of pollen goes airborne and makes my allergies go crazy and makes me want to rip out my throat because of the constant itch. Best not to think about that quite yet...
For now I'll just let music fill my ears in those few blissful moments before I go to sleep

No comments: