Saturday 8 March 2008

The Internet is stupid...

Well, not really, but damn, whenever I do something really stupid all I have to do is browse user comments on YouTube, Imdb or some other website where people who can't get anyone else to listen to their opinions post their perspectives on the world, and suddenly I feel extremely clever by comparison. There's seriously a cornucopia of entertainment. In particular, go look at really good movies on Imdb, and read some of the negative reviews that people have posted. I mean, I respect the right to an opinion and all, but some people seem to think that perfect spelling and punctuation grants them God status and makes every single word they write absolutely infallible. The amount of pretentious shit you get there is absolutely mind-boggling to say the least. But whenever you're looking for answers, you can be very certain that there's a whole multimillion panel of rabid self-appointed experts who are hungry for your questions, and have one and all independently invented the Philosopher's Stone.

Another absolute favourite is looking at videos of various guitarists on YouTube. You see a recording of a guy who's doing some pretty amazing things on his guitar, and then there's a horde of people standing in line to claim that he's an amateur and is surpassed by at least several others, after which they name their own favourites. Even if the guitarist is someone who is renowned among some of his top professional colleagues. Of course, they, too, are entitled to an opinion, but an attitude I just can't stand is the "categorically unimpressed" one. If you believe yourself beyond impression or surprise, you're either some kind of God or an absolute moron. Let's say there was an objective way of determining the skill of a guitarist. If someone by that method was determined to be number 100 in the world, I'd personally still be damned impressed. I can listen to a skilled guy playing the guitar and think "Damn, I don't like the sound of that", but I won't use that as an argument for claiming that he can't play his instrument. He just doesn't play it the way I prefer. Thankfully there's a near equal amount of people present on YouTube to write equally amusing replies to all those morons. And of course, nothing cheers me up more than seeing the suffering of those that don't share my opinions.

No comments: