Monday 10 March 2008

TV + Superhero wannabes = miniskirts and hot pants

Between weathering the political storm as presented in newspapers and TV and making every possible attempt not to do anything productive, I found myself in the deepest parts of the gutter of my mind, probing around for anything that could divert my attention and inspire creativity.
All I found was the collective leftovers from last night's contemplations, which were pretty crude and mainly centered around the reality TV-show "Who Wants To Be A Superhero", the concept of which is that a bunch of geeks, morons and bimbos get to do ridiculous clothing (in the case of the bimbos, considerably less). This is roleplaying taken to another level, although it's obvious that some people take it more seriously than others. What I did not at all fathom was how a seriously overweight woman, who had named her alter ego "Fat Momma" - a super hero who gets her power from eating doughnuts - made it to be a part of the final bunch that was left after an army of other idiots were turned down. I have deep respect for Stan Lee and all that he has done for the comic book world, but whatever was going on in his mind when he did the casting is just an absolute mystery. I guess he thought it was safe to include her seeing as she's going to be thrown out eventually, but having a superhero who, in a Western culture where obesity is a prime disease, gets her powers from getting even fatter than she already is, will perhaps not send the most productive message to all the kids who are watching the show. Then again, considering the vast numbers of completely ridiculous superheroes featured in comic books across the world, the character of Fat Momma isn't all that farfetched. For example, standard weed is nothing compared to the stuff smoked by some of the people who wrote for the X-men series. The whole concept of mutation and such is rather neat, but even a world rich in imagination needs some boundaries, otherwise it's just nonsensical chaos.

Of course, I'll get addicted to watching the misery of these would-be heroes (or, in some cases, would-be villains) because I'm just that low. With great anticipation will I observe the adventures of The Iron Enforcer, Feedback, Major Victory, Monkey Woman (!!!!!), Cell Phone Girl(?!) and others if I can find the episodes. After all, the series has apparently been going on since mid-2006.

Also, I've been watching Life on Mars. Which is actually an interesting series, the plot of which I won't spoil (I can leave that to Wikipedia).

No comments: