Saturday 22 March 2008

Weekend rant

Some people like to think of analogies for everything because, I suppose, it seems very clever with all those similies, metaphores and whatnot, but the blunt truth (as far as I think) is that a lot of analogies are complete shite. Doesn't prevent them from being amusing diversions for the mind, and I always fall into the same damnable pit, musing over the same damn details over and over, but inexplicably I don't stop enjoying it. My latest though was comparing my life to a movie script. How I'd view it if it happened to be the final draft for a movie if I were a producer. Generally a dangerous path to choose because that kind of thinking can become an easy escape. Imagining myself as a character in a movie doesn't really answer any existential questions, doesn't bring me closer to any conclusion ... and yet it can work as a device for me to see things from the outside, opting for a different perspective. Taking the analogy further, I guess a person'd wish that they were in an A-grade movie with a sense of meaning and depth without being too slow or overcontemplative. Eventually you realize that you are in fact part of a poorly written B movie with long periods of dullness and unrealistic dialogue and really bad camera angles.

A silly wish which I know will probably not be fulfilled anytime soon is to have less attractive female (or male) leads. It's not that I don't like eye-candy in general, but it's strange how successful characters usually by pure coincidence are drop-dead gorgeous or frightening handsome. That's how successful people look! Apparently. Even the most geeky computer nerd will have designer glasses and a perfect haircut. And all those movies where the lead actress is genetically bred to wear permanent make-up. Scarlett Johansen does not need total make-up to look pretty! Some is alright, especially for technical reasons regarding lighting etc. but too much and it can be the cause of serious eye-sore. I also hate it when they place a rather fine actress in a role only to use her looks instead of challenging their acting skills.

But I guess if they want a movie to earn some money they need to front it with some pretty faces.

End of rant.

No comments: