Sunday 6 April 2008

Bile

It has been a little while since I took the time to properly use my mental bile duct. Or, a bit more than a week, but that's more than enough...

A horrible revelation dawned on me a week ago when I purchased a game called Prey which was on weekend sale. I generally avoid bad books and bad games, but once in a while I take a stab at something utterly random, now I experience the consequences. What I realised is that a poor game is somewhat like a poor Hollywood movie. You have the most obscene plot you can imagine, yet you get this ominous feeling that the people who made it sincerely cared for the story and that they expected to be taken seriously. Even in Hollywood, making a movie that takes place in the modern world where the main character is an American indian who lives at a bar with his grandfather and girlfriend, and in which, after a small introduction, everyone is abducted by aliens, would be to expect a bit much of your audience in terms of how farfetched it can be before they start wondering exactly what kind of drugs the screenwriters were on. But like most B-movies it can provide a source of hilarity despite its faults due to adequate action scenes and oneliners so cliché that you can't help but laugh.
It's an ambivalent feeling because it makes me wonder if I haven't been trying out enough B-rated games. One of the problems with B-rated games, though, is that they take more time than a B-movie.

Speaking of movies, I checked the internet for movies to watch in the cinema and found diddly squat. I suppose Spring isn't the most usual season in which to release the big blockbusters - it's more convenient to wait until Summer when everyone has time.
After what seemed an endless wave of fantastic movies at the end of 2007 and beginning of 2008 it's all come to a standstill. So meanwhile I look at older movies that had slipped under my nose. Which, with the ridiculously low DVD prices these days, it would be madness not to check some of them out.

Of course, there are a few misses between, but when it comes to trying new things, they help teaching what to avoid.

No comments: